Theresa May's decision to invite Donald Trump on a state visit to the UK has continued to cause controversy.
After a petition calling for the President's trip to be cancelled reached one million signatures, the Prime Minister has now been criticised for putting the Queen in a "very difficult position."
In a letter to The Times, the former head of the Foreign Office said the offer had been "premature" and that May must "move fast" to protect the monarch.
"It would have been far wiser to wait to see what sort of president he would turn out to be before advising the Queen to invite him," Lord Ricketts said.
"Now the Queen is put in a very difficult position."
These comments come after thousands of people across the UK took part in protests against Trump's visit on Monday night. These were sparked by the President's announcement of the travel ban, which prevents people from seven mainly Muslim countries travelling to the US.
While Downing Street is refusing to say whether Trump briefed May on his plans for a travel ban during her visit to the US, the Prime Minister is under pressure to disclose what she had been told amid allegations she knew, but "turned a blind eye," Sky News reports.
The state visit is expected to be debated in Parliament on Tuesday, but according to Downing Street sources, it's unlikely May will withdraw her invitation to the President, despite the backlash.
May's representatives have also emphasised that the recommendation to invite Trump was made by the Royal Visits Committee, which includes representatives from both Number 10 and the royal household.
A statement from Number 10 said. "To be clear, the Prime Minister extended an invitation on behalf of the Queen - and she was very happy to do so. The USA is one of this country's closest allies, and we look forward to hosting the President later this year."
Although no date has been confirmed for Trump's visit, it is likely to include a stay at Buckingham Palace. The Palace has not commented on the matter.