There’s nothing guaranteed to impress the lady in your life more than a succession of tasty homemade dishes flowing from your kitchen. So, with your credit rating firmly in mind, this week we present an expert guide to preparing a sumptuous Thai banquet (whilst simultaneously racking up the Brownie points).
Tom Yum Goong (Spicy Prawn Soup with Lime and Chilli)
Ingredients: 250 ml Prawn Stock, 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf, 1 tablespoon Sliced Lemongrass, 100g White Prawns, 60g Straw Mushroom, 3 pieces of Bird Chilli, 3 tablespoons of Lime Juice, 3 tablespoons of Galangal, 1 tablespoon of Chilli Paste, 1 clove of Shallot, 1 piece of Coriander Leaf and Root, 50g of Cherry Tomato.
1. First, make the prawn stock. (Ingredients: 250g of Prawn Shells, 1 litre of water, 2 tablespoons of Lemongrass, 2 Kaffir Lime leaves). Wash prawn shells in cold water then put in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring rapidly to the boil then drain and discard the water. Cover shells with 1 litre of water and add all other ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes, removing the residue as it accumulates. Finally, strain through a cloth.
2. Bring Prawn Stock rapidly to the boil then add Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime leaf, Galangal, Shallot, Cherry Tomato, Chilli Paste, Prawn and Straw Mushroom
3. Simmer for two minutes. Add Chilli, Fish Sauce and Lime Juice
4. When the Prawns are cooked, pour the soup into the bowl
5. Top with fresh Coriander leaves
Esquire enrolled in the Thai Culinary Cooking Class at Anantara Koh Samui, Bophut Bay, Thailand. Click here for more information
Photographs by Martyn Goodacre