Jamie Vardy: Premier League champion, relentless competitor and hero of the working man with a dream has revealed that he once hampered his recovery from injury because he drank too much skittle vodka.
That's too much skittle vodka. Is this is the most Jamie Vardy story of all time? Clearly. In an extract from Vardy's upcoming autobiography From Nowhere - ours is already on pre-order - serialised by The Sun, Vardy wrote how he would "sit back and enjoy" his legendary signature drink without realising it was affecting his recovery from injury.
"I had a dead leg — a fairly routine injury, but it was taking an age to get better.' wrote Vardy.
"I had a three-litre vodka bottle at home I would put loads of Skittles sweets in.
"Once one batch had fully dissolved, I'd top it up with more — only the red or purple sweets because I don't fancy the orange, green and yellow ones. I must have put a different batch in at least 20 times.
"After that, you can drink the vodka neat and it tastes just like Skittles. When I was bored at home in the evening I'd pour myself a glass, sit back and enjoy. The vodka was decent but it wasn't doing much for my dead leg, which didn't stop bleeding for ages."
"Dave Rennie, the physio, said he couldn't believe it wasn't improving. He'd seen a torn calf muscle heal quicker," Vardy continued.
"He pulled me aside one day when nobody else was about. 'What are you doing?' Dave asked. "Nothing I wouldn't normally do," I replied.
"Then I explained that what I'd normally do was drink Skittle vodka.
"'Well, that will be why, then,' Dave said, looking a little shocked, before going on to explain the science behind it and how the alcohol was damaging the healing process."
Jamie Vardy. We salute you.