The scent of faux-bacon corn crisps wafting across the office has had Esquire’s collective saliva glands a-throbbing this afternoon. Can, we asked ourselves, the supremacy of Smiths snack products really be disputed? We put our heads together to come up with a definitive top five that says, 'Most definitely not'…
1. Frazzles: Just as bacon is king of the buttie, so too are bacon-flavored corn snacks king of the Smiths snacks. In fact: scrap that, we’re saying Frazzles are king of the crisp world full stop.
2. Chipsticks: We haven’t got the time or inclination to develop a crack habit, so here’s the next best thing: salt and vinegar maize that sticks to the inside of your cheeks and has you salivating like a dog near the seaside.
3. Doritos: Place them on your tongue like a communion wafer and thank the crisp Gods: Doritos Cool are in a flavour league of their own. Cheese ain’t half bad either.
4. Scampi Fries: Stilton, durian, kimchee – much of world’s finest food stuff smells heinous, and we include Smith’s Scampi Fries in that list. Your fingers may smell like you haven't been properly toilet trained but that won’t stop your jaw quivering with pleasure.
5. Nobby’s Nuts: Forget the clumsy Noddy Holder ads, this is a quintessential pub snack done properly. Also revolutionized the pub nuts world with its tube-shaped packaging, making it easier to distribute among the greedy palms of your chums. Sam Parker