Grown the stubble, gone through the 'face-on-fire' itching period and ultimately decided the on-trend beard is not a look that's right for you? Fear not - you tried, so why not console yourself with that rarest of luxuries: a full hot towel, cut-throat shave...
1. Truefitt & Hill - London: Established in 1805, Trufitt & Hill is the world’s oldest barbershop. Their knowledge and experience provide today’s man with an offering that is both sophisticated and practical. Traditional hot towel wet shave - £39 (020 7493 2961 truefittandhill.co.uk)
2. Gino Gents – London: Much like a quintessential Brooklyn barbershop, Gino’s no-thrills hairdresser’s is notoriously reliable, sociable and best of all, bloody cheap. This rough diamond will certainly leave you feeling well polished. Shave - £13 (0207 437 2029 / 33 A, Dean Street, Soho. W1D 4PP
3. The Players Lounge – Edinburgh: Located in the heart of Edinburgh lies this contemporary yet unfussy barbershop. The Players Lounge offers a relaxing 45-minute hot towel shave using only the finest skincare products - £28 (0131 225 3188 / the-players-lounge.com)
4. The Gentry Grooming Co – Manchester: Echoing a traditional gentleman’s club with an injection of upbeat style, the Gentry Grooming Co is one of Manchester’s finest grooming salons. After enjoying a complimentary beer, sit back and enjoy Manchester’s finest Cut Throat shave for £27.50, (0161 835 1200 / gentrygrooming.com)
5. Jason Shankey – Belfast: Shankey’s is at the forefront of male grooming among Belfast’s well-heeled men. This modern salon boasts exquisite décor and the friendliest of staff, making it a cut above the rest. Luxury Hot Towel Shave - £30 (028 9065 8001 / jasonshankey.com)
Words by Chris Smith