If you’re stressed, tired, dehydrated or just very pale (like most of us, much of the time) chances are you’ve got some unsightly black bags lurking beneath your eyes. Caused by engorged blood vessels in the fragile skin beneath the eye — which show up due to toxins built up from lack of sleep — dark circles put on years and reduce confidence. What to do? Other than a good night’s kip and a few less shandies, there are a whole host of new products designed to pep up your eye area.
“The skin around the eye is fragile and the region where the first wrinkles will appear,” warns José Ginestar, scientific director of Sisley Laboratories. “The most effective way to battle the signs of ageing is to apply a gentle remedy with absolutely zero toxicity, which includes perfumes and essential oils, to avoid damaging this fragile area.” Here are six of the best.
1. Aesop Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Eye Cream, £52 - Thanks to a host of natural ingredients, Aussie brand Aesop’s rich and moisturising eye cream smells amazing and makes the skin beneath your eyes feel far less fragile.
2. Sisley Eye Contour Mask, £74 - Applied thickly to the eye contour and left for 10 minutes before wiping off with a cloth, this intensive treatment is a little more involved, but leaves the eye area feeling remarkably nourished.
3. Crème de la Mer The Eye Concentrate, £125 - Creamy without being heavy, and incredibly light; you need very little of this product — which is a good thing, given the price. It leaves your eyes feeling smoother and brighter with just a few dabs.
4. L’Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Hydra Eye Roll-On, £11 - Imbued with anti-ageing ingredients, this serum brightens, soothes and softens the skin beneath the eyes. Probably the best value for money of our selection.
5. Clarins Men Anti-Fatigue Eye Serum, £27.50 - More a gel than a serum, it’s light, grease-free and contains both ginkgo biloba and ginseng to reduce puffiness and brighten skin. Gives out a lot of serum, so squeeze with care.
6. Dior Homme Anti-fatigue Firming Eye Serum, £37 - Silky smooth and slow to absorb into the eye area, Dior’s firming serum contains vitamin E to reduce puffiness and improve firmness. Feels pleasantly tingly.