Yaya Toure has broken his silence regarding the events that led to his drink-driving charge last month: he got drunk by accident.
And the Manchester City ace wants you to know he is sorry about it.
The 33-year-old teetotaller, who earns £220,000 a week, was arrested on November 29 for driving under the influence in Dagenham, East London.
He admitted the charge at Barking Magistrates Court today but wanted to make one thing clear: that he had ingested alcohol at a house party without realising what it was.
According to reports, he told the judge that he had spotted a carafe of Diet Coke on a table and drank it, unaware that it was mixed with brandy – a fact he wouldn't find out until later that night.
Trouble was, he had been the "designated driver" for his friends on the night of the party and drove them home, claiming he just felt tired. In fact, he was double the drink-drive limit.
In a statement on his website, Toure said he wanted to explain why, as a Muslim who does not drink, he didn't contest the charge.
"I have always refused alcohol," the statement said. "Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for man-of-the-match performances because of my commitment to my religion.
"The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday. As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge.
"However, it was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking.
"Drink-driving is a serious crime and, even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol, I accept the ban and fine and I would like to apologise for this situation."
While the judge accepted his version of events, he issued the player with an 18-month driving ban and a fine of £54,000. He also agreed to take a drink-drive rehabilitation scheme course which will reduce his ban by 18 weeks.